REQUIREMENTS FOR CONSTRUCTION AND DEMOLITIONS (C&D) DEBRIS RECYCLING
C&D materials are heavy, not easily compacted, and take up space in the landfill. That’s why it’s important to separate and recycle or divert these materials from the landfill. Keeping different types of building materials separated will result in significantly lower fees and charges and save some money on your next project.
Salinas Municipal Code 9-4.1 requires all Construction and Demolition (C&D) projects within the City to divert at least 65% of the C&D debris and 100% of inert materials generated by the project. In addition, all building and demolition permit applicants must prepare and submit a C&D Waste Reduction and Recycling Plan at the time of the permit application (prior to permit issuance), and a final C&D Waste Reduction and Recycling Report. Failure to file recycling reports with the City may result in non-compliance fees and/or delay issuance of the Certificate of Occupancy or final inspection.
Options for the disposal/recycling of C&D debris include:
- Contracting with the exclusive franchisee for disposal/recycling services,
- If you need to set up service, call Republic Services of Salinas (Republic) at (831) 751-5443.
- Identify that your project is a C&D project and keep all applicable invoices from Republic.
- Divert more by requesting separate bins to source separate C&D debris on-site (cost savings may apply).
- Self-hauling C&D debris from the project directly to a bonafide processing facility using the applicants / contractor’s equipment and vehicles (if source separated, cost savings may apply).
- Salinas Valley Recycles’ facilities accept C&D debris at a reduced rate. Visit Salinas Valley Recycles for a current listing of acceptable materials. Download a C&D Flyer or for additional information and helpful videos visit CalRecycle C&D website.
- If you need assistance with what material types are recyclable and how to separate them for recycling, please call Salinas Valley Recycles at (831) 775-3018.
- Complete, sign and submit the C& D Waste Reduction and Recycling Plan to the Permit Center along with your Building Permit Application.
- If you plan to self-haul your C&D debris, use the list of bonafide processors to locate facilities that will recycle your materials. Inform the recycling facilities that the material is generated in the City of Salinas so origin codes on the weight tickets can be recorded correctly. Always ask the recycling facility for all of your weight tickets and receipts.
- Once your project is complete, you must submit the C&D Waste Reduction and Recycling Report to the Permit Center. Make sure to include all weight tickets and receipts for all of your recycled and disposed materials.
- Your final Waste Reduction and Recycling Report should include the following information:
- Identify the types and quantities (tons) of materials recycled, reused, salvaged and/or disposed,
- Identify how the materials were handled: "source separated" or "mixed",
- Identify the method of transport for debris materials (self-haul, franchise hauler),
- Identify where the materials were taken for recycling or disposal, with all invoices, weight tags and receipts.
- Submit the completed report to:
City of Salinas – Permit Services
65 West Alisal St., 1st Floor
Salinas, California 93901
Fax: (831) 758-7251
Email: epermit [at] ci.salinas.ca.us
C&D Permit Application
C&D Bona fide Providers
C&D Flyer - English
C&D Flyer - Spanish