Our City Services

Curb, Gutter, and Sidewalk Repair Procedures

You are here

Thank you for your interest in replacing sidewalk and/or curb and gutter adjacent to your property. The procedures for completing this work are listed below.


1. Request an Evaluation: The property owner may make a request to have the City conduct a Sidewalk and Curb and Gutter evaluation. Please contact Maintenance Services at (831) 758-7233.  There are limited funds available for a 50/50 sidewalk repair program. The 50/50 Sidewalk Repair Program will pay half the cost for curb, gutter, and/or sidewalk repair up to a maximum of two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500).  There is a limited amount of money available for this program and each city council district will receive an equal share.  Unused funds will be distributed on a first come, first serve basis after March 30, 2013.

2. Tree Evaluation: If City tree has caused sidewalk damage, City will evaluate tree and determine if tree needs to be removed and replaced at no cost to the property owner. Should the tree need to be removed, the City Urban Forestry will begin the removal of the tree once the sidewalk has been removed by property owner/Contractor.

3. Prepare a Repair: A “No Fee”, encroachment permit will be issued to the Contractor or property owner performing the work provided a project meeting has first taken place with the City Maintenance Services. Once this meeting is complete, a permit may be obtained at the City of Salinas Permit Center, 65 West Alisal Street, Salinas, CA . As part of the permitting process, property owner/contractor will need to mark the limits of the work with white water base spray paint and call USA Underground Service Alert prior to any excavation.

Contact a Contractor to price and perform the work. Any contractor performing the work in the City of Salinas must have a valid and current California contractor’s license and City of Salinas Business License. Property owners may also make repairs on the sidewalk, curb, and gutter themselves. Property owners need to have a valid California contractor's license. To be reimbursed for the repairs, the property owner must go through the 50/50 Sidewalk Repair Program process before work on the sidewalk can begin.

Contractor or Property Owner must make repairs by complying with the City Standard Plans for this work. Sidewalk, Curb and Gutter, Tree Well and Driveway Standard Plans are available. 

4. Other Considerations: If curb and gutter is replaced by the property owner or Contractor, the City will replace asphalt tie-in to new curb at no cost to property owner.