District 1 Councilmember
Term of Office
- Elected on November 2016
- Term concludes November 2020
- A.A, Hartnell College
- B.S, California Coast University
Awards and Recognition
- 2006 Salinas Jaycee’s Outstanding Young Peace Officer of the Year
- 2010 Mother’s Against Drunk Driving Award
- 2011 Mother’s Against Drunk Driving Award
- 2012 Monterey County Domestic Violence Council Service Award
- 2013 POST Advanced Certificate
- 2015 Deputy of the Month for December
- 2015 MADD Hero Award Recipient
- 2016 Deputy of the Month for February
- 2016 Deputy of the Year
- Also awarded with 2 - Sheriff's Life Saving Awards
Scott was born and raised in Salinas. He is first generation to a mother who emigrated from Japan. His father’s side of the family moved to Salinas in the 1940’s, settled in the Alisal. Living in poverty and through the Great Depression, they worked tirelessly and eventually purchased a small farm where they grew strawberries.
At the age of 15, Scott worked in the fields at his family’s farm, where he was the sole employee. He was responsible for irrigating, weeding, and fertilizing 14 acres of organic farmland. This impressed upon him the difficulty working as a farm laborer.
Scott attended Salinas schools, and attended Hartnell College where he graduated with an AA degree. At the age of 19, while attending Hartnell College, Scott began working at the Monterey County Juvenile Hall. While working at Juvenile Hall, Scott continued his education at Chico State and then Fresno State before being hired at the Monterey County Sheriff’s Office, as a Deputy Sheriff.
Scott’s has worked nearly 13 years at the Sheriff’s Office and is currently a Field Training Officer and Crime Scene Investigator. He has worked every station in Monterey County as well as the Resident Deputy in Big Sur and Court Security at the Monterey County Superior Court House.
In 2009, Scott ran unopposed for a seat on the Deputy Sheriff’s Association Union Board. Scott spent 6 years on the Union Board serving the last 2 years as their President.
Scott has had numerous accolades and awards and is one of the most decorated deputies in the Sheriff’s office.